Amongst all the countries in the world that are involved in mining, Canada is one of the mightiest. In the vast expanse of land that makes up Canada, there are massive reserves of metals and minerals hidden beneath the ground.
The mining industry is crucial to life in Canada. The metals and minerals that are mined in Canada are responsible for the building of highways, bridges, networks, houses, vehicles as well as many of the other things that we take so for granted in the world we live in today. The uses of these metals and minerals are endless and even include the toothpaste we use to clean our teeth which contain powdered limestone mined from the ground, and smoke detectors which contain a radioisotope derived from the plutonium formed in nuclear reactors, to medicine and space missions.
As we go about our lives, we unknowingly touch and use these resources that are mined every day. They provide a roof over our head, they help us to wake up in the morning, we use them at work and again when we get home at night.
Mining is one of Canada’s most crucial economic sectors and provides jobs to hundreds of thousands of people. Few are aware however as to just how important mining is in Canada, and what a major role it has to play in our lives.
Did you know?
- That the mining industry in Canada is a major contributor in job creation, and provides over 380,000 people across Canada with a livelihood
- Canada has one of the largest mining supply sectors worldwide, with over 3,400 companies supplying services to the mining industry
- That those in mining in Canada, benefit from the highest wages and salaries of all industrial sectors
- Canada is not only a major producer of important metals and minerals, but also a center of global mining finances and expertise
- The Toronto Stock Exchange is the dominant financial market for global mining
- That Canada is one of the largest mining nations in the world, producing more than 60 metals and minerals.
- Canada is the world’s largest producer of zinc as well as potash
- That globally, Canada has a reputation and has been recognized for its leadership in safety and sustainability
- That the mining industry in Canada, is now also one of the safest industrial sectors in the country
- Blessed with natural resources, Canada ranks amongst the top five countries in the global production of 11 major minerals and metals, it also produces more than 60 different minerals and metals
- Canada is one of the largest mining nations in the world, operating in over 100 countries
- Mining is the largest private sector employer in Canada of aboriginal people on a proportional basis
- Canada ranks in the top five countries in the global production of aluminum, potash, uranium. Cobalt, tungsten, diamonds, platinum, nickel and titanium.
- Canadas mining companies share a strong commitment to the safeguarding of the environment and Canada is a world leader in minimizing the impact of mining exploration and development on the environment